CS2 Stock

Monday, March 19, 2007

I Gotta Say It

I agree with this statement from this article; I came across it when I visited Marilyn’s blog this morning. As I responded to her question I realized how much the “positivity movement” bothers me. I think there are some well-intentioned people getting caught up in this – I urge them to rethink what they are supporting.

The “blame the victim” mentality is abhorrent to me. Is the rape victim responsible for the horror she experienced because she’s been too negative lately? Are the terminally and chronically ill sick because they failed to be positive enough? I have Menier’s Disease; according to a certain church near my home I have it because I have not been positive enough – and if I could just be positive enough I could cure myself. Am I supposed to thank them now for giving me the message that I am a failed human being if I cannot manage to change my condition or, as the article so eloquently put, “make friends” with my disease? This reeks of elitist thinking: If one has money, health etc. then one is a successful positive human being not at all like those awful negative people living in the inner city who are poor and sick so much of the time.

Do I advocate pissing and moaning all the time? No, BUT I sure don’t advocate asphalting over all those supposedly negative feelings with positive affirmations. That does give me a hell of a headache. I need my crying days, time to curl up somewhere and lick my wounds, healthy ways of ranting (and raving) at injustice, and I even might need to call a friend to listen to my “negativity” and offer me support and empathy. Now I realize this last statement is one of the mortal sins of positivity: Never burden your friends with your “negativity”, never hang out with anyone who feels they need to give voice to their “negative” feelings.

Now here is where I want to clarify a statement I made in a recent post. I don’t think dwelling obsessively on trouble is particularly good for me, BUT I also believe that if I am caught up in obsessive thinking it’s because I have not allowed myself to express my anger, sorrow (and yes, even hatred) in some way that doesn’t harm anyone else. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I don’t mean go knock on your neighbor’s door and let them know how much you despise them and their dog. But if I find myself despising my neighbor (and their very snarky dog) I will do myself more damage if I try to deny I feel that way in the name of positivity. My husband is a really good listener, he’s not afraid my “negativity” will damage his self-esteem. We’re both firm believers in getting things off your chest.

Do I deny that there’s a body mind connection? No – asphalting over my feelings will give my stomach fits every time.

Do I deny that focusing on goals can bring about positive results? No – if I focus on something I am more likely to take action BUT it’s still not a guarantee of success.

Do I deny the wonder and “magic” of this confounding Universe? No – there are things beyond my understanding. I just don’t believe that thinking positively is sufficient to bring about anyone’s health, wealth or happiness. Sure, we can all create our own misery with bad choices and refusal to take responsibility for them – but that is a whole other cauldron of fish.

There’s so much more I want to say – I don’t think I have it all out of my system yet. I think I’ll call someone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberley, seems like this 'conversation' really opened up some feelings for you. Or maybe better said, made it feel okay for you to open up about some of your feelings on this topic. Thank you for making your feelings known. Gayla's post this morning really got me thinking...

daringtowrite said...

You haven't left much unsaid and though I don't agree with it all, I salute you for saying it. Fear of not sounding positive enough all the time must be such a burden.

Cynthia said...

I agree with you. Iknow how powerful positive thinking can be for a person. It's a tool that can be very useful, but some people would have us live in complete denial of anything that's less than glorious in our lives. I particularly hate it when it gets tied into religion and faith. I feel that far too many of us are too afraid of our own darker aspects.

Unknown said...

Kimberley-
I appreciate your honesty and agree whole heartedly. I am someone who has dealt with various medical issues throughout my life and had many times when I was told if I just 'made friends' with my illness, or 'shrunk' my headache etc...it would all go away. That I was in complete control of the way I felt...this did NOTHING but create guilt and frustration.
I wish you continued strength and courage.

Becca said...

This is really quite refreshing, Kimberly, for as much as I like the thought of wholeheartedly embracing the "positivity movement," the fact is, it just doesn't seem to work for me. As Tori said, I just seem to feel even more guilty because I can't "put on a happy face."

Thanks for sharing so honestly, and eloquently.

Almi said...

Very well stated. Some things happen because it is natural. When I was told I diabetic, it was explained that the body just wasn't controlling the sugar in my body. I don't think positive thinking will regulate my sugar, so I run more and eat less junk food. Positive, negative or no thinking has anything to do with some of the things life brings to us. I wish I could say I am always positive but I can't. I don't think I would have many friends if I was positive about every thing. I would probably drive people crazy. I also don't think I would survive for long in my line of work if I wasn't aware of the negative in people.
Be safe.