CS2 Stock

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Passionate Fire



I wanted my first appearance at Poetry Thrusday to be with a poem that followed the prompt (brilliantly, of course!) but . . . the muse kept handing me balls of fire.

Burn

He could have cracked
through the island of his mind -
he finally understood:

it's not just that everything

she touches burns,
but she burns to touch -

to let her fingers hunt
past his lust

to find his thirst.

But his skin is pale
from sensible fluorescent light-
his feet stalled over

all his points of departure -

his eyes sensitive to flare.


So he hunkers down

under the cover of indifference -

avoids the sparks of her hands-

slams the door of his psyche

against the back draft.

He could have cracked

through the island of his mind-

but he didn't understand
the fertility of ash.

13 comments:

Norma said...

This is very nice. I particularly liked "So he hunkers down
under the cover of indifference -"


My PT is up.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for the cyber hug! I really liked your poem, "Burn". The last two lines got me especially. Glad the Muse was fiery!

Emily said...

I also liked "so he hunkers down under the cover of indifference" and the "sensible floursescen light" I wasn't up to taking on the prompt this week either!

Unknown said...

Beautiful imagery, speaking to resistance and rebirth.

belle said...

i like this...especially,

"to let her fingers hunt
past his lust
to find his thirst"

really nice!

patti said...

I love and felt the passion in this poem. Well done.

P.S. If you thought you might like to be a zoologist, maybe you could volunteer at an animal shelter? Thanks for your comment.

Fragmentsinsight said...

Beautiful and wonderful poem. I enjoyed reading it.
'So he hunkers down under the cover of indifference'
Very good.

Yvonne

Crafty Green Poet said...

I particularly liked his feet stalled over all his departures. Good poem.

Unknown said...

Nice poem. Welcome to PT--hope we see more of you.

Jim Brock said...

Welcome to the PT party!

I admire the same lines as Belle--all those simple monosyllabic words cutting to the chase. Wonderful.

Looking forward to reading more of your work . . . .

Becca said...

A very bright PT debut, Kimberly!

I particularly like these lines...

"he slams the door of his psyche
against the back draft"

Really good use of fire imagery, throughout the poem, as well.

Kay Cooke said...

I'm glad the muse wasn't to be ignored - a powerful poem has been the result.

Anonymous said...

"it's not just that everything
she touches burns,
but she burns to touch -"

I love this phrase especially. It says so much, so beautifully, but the whole poem is fiery and intense.