CS2 Stock

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Dream

CS2 Stock Photo altered in Photo Shop CS2


At eighteen I struggled with the effects of an abusive childhood, catapulted myself into marriage and motherhood, and felt totally disconnected from everyone except my child. Along with fear and regret, delight and small triumphs have carried me into today. Back then, I had one of the most unusual and vivid dreams of my life, one that began as a nightmare and ended in awe. I tucked the dream away safely in my journal and since have molded it into a kind of prose poem.

In a uniform of uncertain loyalty, I struggle barefoot through mire - marsh grasses crackle in my ears as they part. Stubborn, my muscles squirm out of mud's grip until I slide like a snake on solid ground. Terror stalks my scent, warps the air - miles of chase turn into suffocating desert. Somehow, desert drops away and the uniform strips from my skin to whirl like leaves in damp breezes. I sleep warm and naked - covered in sheets of shadows. I wake to hear the rush and drum of pounding surf and walk the murky passageway between two cliffs. On the other side, my senses are consumed with an ocean cast in the colors of living fire - a red sun in mid heaven - a lavender moon with its belly resting on the horizon. I know I will learn to exist in the poetry of this sky and the mystery of these fluid flames.

I think now, even with the struggles I face, I am finally learning.

More dreams at Sunday Scribblings

3 comments:

Almi said...

excellent!

Kay Cooke said...

What a healing experience and what a precious thing to have it recorded so you can revisit the hope and reward mirrored there.

Lucy said...

Amazing isn't it, that a dream from years ago still effects you so. I have experienced dreams like that too, but your interpretation is wonderful.:)