CS2 Stock

Friday, March 9, 2007

Insomnia


First, I want to thank everyone who has commented on my posts. It means a great deal to me to be welcomed here. And your kind words about my writing made me blush.

Outside my window I hear crows and watch them hop from branch to branch, notice my neighbor has painted all his wire plant baskets sky blue and stuffed them with red geraniums. A part of me nudges to take a walk, but I stay put cradling my tea cup in the palms of my hands. I haven't been sleeping more than three hours a night and I'm starting to feel edgy- like all the days of this week have been jammed into one long never ending day. I suppose it's stress and disappointment. The move to the Eco Village has fallen through and I'm feeling the implications of being diagnosed with Menier's Disease. I can't drive and there is always the potential for a vertigo attack to manifest unannounced. It's like having Epilepsy except there is no medication to control it. The only thing I can take is after the fact to control the inevitable nausea. Most of the time I am ok (except for the persistent ringing in my ears), but I have to be sharply conscious of my surroundings in case I fall. I don't like to dwell on it and the vertigo episodes are getting farther and farther apart. According to my doctor, there is a possibility the Menier's could disappear as quickly as it came. When I am feeling extra confident, I ride the bus to some of my favorite places or I would go loony cooped up in this apartment. Added to that, my daughter is having some of her own struggles and all I can do is accept the situation and love her. And of course, I could go into my litany of how I feel like such a misfit living in Orange County - I just don't fit the ultra conservative profile. But so much for lamenting. It's good to get it out, even have a good cry if I need to. But lingering there too long is like batting my eye lashes at depression and giving it a "come hither" look-- and it just makes for a lousy date.

I wanted to participate in Poetry Thursday this week, but lack of sleep and writing are apparently incompatible in my world. I have been reading poetry in the wee hours and came across one of my favorite Pablo Neruda poems - I think it is my credo for now.

If each day falls
inside each night,
there is a well where
clarity is imprisoned.
We need to sit on the rim
of the well of darkness
and fish for fallen light
with patience.

The Sun Magazine came today. I always feel a flush of pleasure when I realize it's in the mail box. It's just a luscious read (and photos) from cover to cover without a single ad. I think I will settle into a warm bath and read.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crows, baskets, geraniums, tea cups ... Kimberly I thought I was reading notes for haiku. Sounds like a gorgeous place to be.

I appreciate you stopping by a reading the red poem. Yes, it is fun to be spooked - I hope you will be able to post up on the new theme.

Emily said...

I would never have imagined from your peaceful blog color and photos that you are struggling with so much. That line, "We need to sit on the rim of the well of darkness" is beautiful...haven't read that before. May health come to you soon...

Deirdre said...

I go through periods of insomnia too, and there's nothing for it but to nurture the body and mind into a state of soothing relaxation. A bath and a good read definitely help. I like the line about not giving depression a come hither look. I'll have to remember that. Sleep well soon.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

You have a beautiful place here, well-done. Thanks for stopping by mine. I'll come back and visit you again!

Anonymous said...

fish for fallen light
with patience

Beautiful. (And understood.) Thank you for this honest post, and for stopping by my blog. Sending you healing thoughts. I know what it feels like to feel like a fish out of water. Hang in there...let us (blogosphere) be your pond for awhile. ;)

Kim Carney said...

I saw your comment on someone's blog. u should totally participate iin SPT! such fun

Unknown said...

Hi Kimberley. Thanks for you comment on my blog; I laughed out loud with pleasure when I read it. And thanks for sharing this Pablo Neruda poem - it really is wonderful, and stillness-inducing. Does it have a title?

Kay Cooke said...

Thanks for dropping by - I really enjoyed reading your writing. It's clear and descriptive - the photos are great too. I will definitely be back.

supernova said...

You have a lovely blog going on here! Am glad I stumbled onto it! :-)

Miss Iyer said...

Aww, these words ring with such honesty.

I'm glad you've started publishing your writings online again. I think its never late :)

Thank you for stopping by! Do visit often and post more poems. Its refreshing to read then :)

TMTW said...

I agree with Supernova, and completely sympathize with your insomnia and daily struggles when coping with the stupid things our bodies do.

A. B. Chairiet said...

You’re an amazing writer.

All the compliments you gave to me reminded me why I love writing, then I come here and read your words and now I'm reminded as to why I love reading...you have the southern way of being clear, and sweet, yet something slightly sad and mournful in the midst...must be your time spent in the South, or were you born there?

Thank you for being so kind to me.

Best of luck with everything. :)

Happy Monday,
~ Ash

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! Bummer about your condition, I hope it does go away! I have terrible insomnia and it makes me tired all the time, so I have a great deal of sympathy because I know how wretched it is.

Feel better! Enjoy life/ ((((HUG))))

Mary :-D

Lucy said...

i can so sympathize with what you are going through. Last year I had a few bouts of Vertigo and It was awful. Hope the Meniers goes away soon. Thanks for visiting me... to read about my dreaded Vertigo go to July then august archives. hope to keep in touch :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimberley,
Thanks for your comment on my first SS post this week. I hope you keep showing up too! And I loved the Pable Neruda poem - so beautiful; thank you for introducing me to it.

Becca said...

"Fish for fallen light with patience..." those words really speak to me in my life right now.
Thank you for sharing them, and for sharing your feelings so meaningfully.

I wish you peace in your struggles, Kimberly, and clarity of mind and spirit.